What is artificial intelligence in education? How is it used to improve the quality of education? What are the most important applications of artificial intelligence in education? And its role, importance, benefits, advantages, and disadvantages?
With the progress of technological development and the spread of the COVID-19, the use of artificial intelligence in education began on a large scale, as Mike Tholfsen, Microsoft Education Product Manager, announce the beginning of work on artificial intelligence during the spread of the Coronavirus.
For the continuation of education in a proper manner and because of the AI success, the demand for it and its use has increased, which makes us develop more innovate new solutions.
However, artificial intelligence technology remains of some concern to users, as the amazing development in it makes it a great technology that provides innovative solutions quickly and in a way that was previously impossible!
The development of artificial intelligence had a huge role in the field of manufacturing and providing various services. This progress also extended to education. Through it, artificial intelligence emerged in a distinctive way and took huge steps already, including the most important: clearly develop and improve education and even train teaching staff and students.
The UNESCO, the world’s leading organization in education, has worked to develop education significantly, meet all the needs of the learner, and enhance education in forms and methods more appropriate to the development witnessed by the world. Therefore, artificial intelligence has emerged significantly and has received full support to achieve the sustainable goals of the United Nations.
Table of Contents
What is AI in Education?
Artificial intelligence in general is a branch of modern science and technology, which aims to implant human intelligence into tools/machines, so that those tools are able to perform assigned functions more efficiently and more intelligently.
As for AI in education, it is:
New and advanced technology, which gives educational systems a tremendous ability to develop and achieve goals, and access to all those wishing to teach and provide the required information and knowledge with high quality without high material costs or great physical effort.
Artificial intelligence acts as a link between knowledge and stored information and those wishing to receive knowledge, providing them with appropriate methods at any time and any place.
10 Application of Artificial Intelligence in Education
There are many fields in which artificial intelligence is used, as research has tended to design modern and powerful software in many areas using artificial intelligence, and the most important applications of artificial intelligence are:
- Natural languages, where the branches of computational languages, physiology, machine translation, and the recognition of many sounds and languages have developed.
- Computer vision, which simulates vision systems and fingerprint recognition and development of these means.
- Robotics, in which the branch of mechanical engineering works to develop robots that operate, think, implement, and plan effectively.
- Various games, where artificial intelligence contributed to the development and use of dedicated software.
- Proving theories, artificial intelligence had a role in the development of mathematics, philosophy, and logic.
- Hardware components of a computer, where AI work on the development and improvement of the electronic hardware components in the computer.
- Hierarchical search, where specific software has been allocated to support electronic search methods more effectively.
- Developing and creating solutions to problems.
- Development of programming languages and systems.
- Developing the sciences of chemistry, biology, engineering and the petroleum industry.
Artificial intelligence applications can be categorized into three main areas:
- Cognitive science applications
- Applications of smart machines
- Natural language applications
Artificial intelligence in education deeply affects the entire educational process as follows:
– Artificial intelligence can reduce administrative burdens by carrying out the administrative work of the educational system, and this contributes greatly to making correct decisions and the ability to distribute roles within the system in a neutral manner according to the capabilities and skills of everyone. This also helps with appropriate study programs for each student in line with his/her skills and conditions.
-Artificial intelligence provides the learner with diverse ways of receiving information and smart platforms that match what he/she is looking for and free him/her from traditional education.
-Provides the learner with the ability to self-teach more accurately and with great feedback.
-It works to store information and data more accurately and securely and makes it easier for workers to access them and also protects information from loss, damage, or leakage.
-A system that does not get tired and does not feel anxious or overburdened, which makes productivity greater.
-Artificial intelligence provides realistic solutions to the most difficult problems, addressing them in a timely manner.
-Artificial intelligence provides a great benefit to people with special needs, with different methods that suit their needs, such as translating text from writing to voice or vice versa and other tools that enable them to use technology well.
-There are no problems, difficulties, or obstacles that can face any educational system that relies on artificial intelligence techniques.
Role of Artificial Intelligence in Education
Artificial intelligence plays a strong and effective role in the educational process, as it provides the student with the ability to study at any time and from anywhere.
It gives them the opportunity to access high-quality education without travel or many financial expenses.
And offer them help at any time to solve problems and difficulties.
It also works on developing the student, working on weaknesses and strengthening strengths. It provides them with a virtual guide who continuously monitors the student’s progress and provides the required comments and assessments.
If there is a question on a student’s mind, AI applications now can quickly answer it, without a long wait.
It puts in the hands of the student a lot of platforms that offer training and educational courses from different countries, which facilitates education for all those who wish.
It also provides simultaneous translations to translate any text into the mother tongue spoken by the learners so that they do not face any difficulty in receiving the information.
Top 5 AI in Education Examples
Examples of artificial intelligence software in distance education are varied and widely spread.
ai in education examples:
Artificial Intelligence in Education
- iTalk2Learn platform, which provides mathematical knowledge and teaches mathematical fractions to students from 5 to 11 years old.
- Thinkster Math platform, which provides an educational application for the mathematics curriculum, providing each student with a teacher who follows up on and assists them in succession.
- Brainly platform, which represents a social network for curriculum questions, where learners share their questions, discuss them, and cooperate with each other to reach the correct answers.
- Manufacture of AI-based educational books by Content Technologies, Inc. (CTI).
- Qorrect assessment system: guide you to create qualified, balanced exams, deliver them anywhere anytime, generate detailed reports, and analyze them.
Importance of Artificial Intelligence in Education
Artificial Intelligence for Teachers
Artificial intelligence in education provides teachers with the ability to analyze their students, measure their progress, find strengths and weaknesses, and work on developing them.
It also saves a lot of time and effort for teachers, as they perform many tasks that consume a lot of time and effort, making them more devoted to development, improvement, and finding innovative solutions to advance the educational institution.
AI provides automation of administrative tasks, assessment, answering questions, marking exams, and setting exam questions.
Artificial Intelligence for Students
AI in education simplifies the educational process for the student, providing them with appropriate training courses and achieving all the goals that the student aspires to reach.
Artificial intelligence identifies the student’s strengths and weaknesses, knows their educational level, and provides the best educational methods that are in line with their skills.
It also provides them with quick solutions and immediate answers without the need for a teacher who cannot devote themselves to the student all day, such as artificial intelligence programs.
Artificial intelligence gives the student the ability to access and join all global educational curricula and training courses with ease, anytime and anywhere.
Disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence in Education
There are many challenges with artificial intelligence in education that will lead to the emergence of some defects affecting in some way the educational environment and the society as a whole.
Challenges of artificial intelligence in education and problems include:
- It makes people trust technology too much
- AI may be concerned with reporting more than a student’s performance, compared to the school administration; a computer may not contact the guardian if the student doesn’t attend classes, for example
- AI has no emotion and does not respond like a teacher is working in the classroom and can understand all the feelings of the students.
- Acquiring AI usually requires a lot of money, due to the high cost it takes to make it: programming, testing, fixing, repairing
- Job loss due to automation
- Privacy violation concerns
- “Deep fake”
- Arithmetic bias caused by bad data
- Socioeconomic inequality
- Humans cannot compete with machines in terms of efficiency. And therefore machines will replace humans in various practical fields, which will increase the unemployment rate
Final note on Artificial intelligence and education: AI has a major role in developing the educational movement now, fighting many problems and working to find strong and effective solutions. Qorrect platform provides you with modern techniques in setting up and grading electronic exams in the most accurate way, plus many characteristics and advantages that make your educational institution compete with the largest institutions and step up towards academic accreditation!
Keep up with the now and be one of the initiators of change in the world of both face-to-face and distance education. Start the development of your traditional education structure. Learn about all these advantages and how to benefit from AI in your educational institution, to provide the smoothest, smartest ed environment. Request free Demo now with Qorrect experts!